Classic Creme Brûlée
- 12 ea Egg yolks
- 6 oz granulated sugar
- 3 pt heavy creme, hot
- 1.5 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 8 oz granulated sugar to coat the top of each custard
- Butane torch or Kitchen torch
Steps **ALWAYS BE CAUTIOUS WHEN WORKING WITH OPEN FLAMES!***
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Mix together egg yolks and granulated sugar until combined.
- Slowly temper the egg yolks by adding the hot heavy cream to the egg yolk mixture, then add the vanilla and salt and strain the entire mixture.
- In a deep baking dish, arrange 12 shallow ramekins and divide the custard mixture evenly between the ramekins.
- Fill the baking dish halfway up the side of the ramekins with hot water.
- Place your set up in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes until the custard is just set.
- Cool, then refregerate.
- To finish, lightly dab any moisture off the top of the custard and sprinkle the granulated sugar on top of the custard, coating the entire surface.
- Continue this step for the remaining custards.
- Under a broiler, or with a torch, heat the sugar until caramelized. Once cooled, the melted sugar will form a thin, hard layer. serve within 1-2 hours. If completed custards are held too long, the tops will soften.