Roasted Cauliflower and Garbanzo bean Soup
(inspired by Floating Kitchen)
For the Soup
- 1 cauliflower head, cut into florets
- 1 - (15.5 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 5 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 2 ea. medium Yukon gold potatoes peeled and cubed appx 2 1/2 cups
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Reserved roasted cauliflower mix
- Red pepper flakes
- Fresh thyme or rosemary leaves
- Heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400 F. On a large baking sheet, toss the cauliflower florets, chickpeas and garlic cloves with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil as well as the cumin, salt, and paprika. Roast in your preheated oven for 30 minutes, stirring once halfway through. Remove pan from your oven and set aside. Reserve about 1/2 cup for the garnish.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the cubed potatoes and black pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the vegetable broth and the water and increase the heat to bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to maintain a simmer. Simmer potatoes uncovered, until they are very soft, about 15-20 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat. Stir in the roasted cauliflower mix.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender. Alternatively, you can use a food processor or blender, BUT be careful when transferring and blending hot liquids. Return the pureed soup to the stovetop and gently rewarm it. Stir in the heavy cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with the reserved roasted cauliflower mix, red pepper flakes, fresh thyme leaves and a drizzle of heavy cream. If desired.
- Enjoy immediately!