Pear Galette with Pecans and Cranberry
- 1/2 package Pillsbury prepared pie dough (1 circle)
- 3 medium ripe Bosc pears, still firm
- 1/3 cup walnuts halves and pieces or pecans
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries (or dried. I used dries because fresh wasn't in season)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (It's a pandemic, I couldn't even find vanilla extract)
- 1 tablespoon dark rum (optional-Personally, I would pass on this)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- egg white and raw sugar for sprinkling on crust
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Gently roll out the pie crust dough circle until it is roughly 13". Then, chill dough while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Halve the pears lengthwise, remove the stems and remove the core with a melon baller or spoon.
- Cut the pear halves into fans by placing the pears cut side down on the cutting board and slicing into thin slices Leave the slices together.
- Place the pears slice side down while you prepare the caramel to prevent browning.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the sugar, water, and corn syrup to a boil. Continue to boil WITHOUT STIRRING until the sugar reaches a nice caramel color. Immediately remove the sugar from the heat when it reaches the desired color.
- Then, add in the salt, cinnamon, vanilla bean paste, rum, cream, and butter. The combination of hot caramel and cool ingredients will cause the caramel to vigorously boil. Pour with caution. Stir the caramel until the butter is melted and the cream is incorporated.
- Gently press down on the pear slices to form a fan. Arrange the pear fan in the middle of the pie dough circle. Sprinkle with your choice of nuts and cranberries (if cranberries are dried, add them after baking to prevent burning) and drizzle with caramel sauce.
- Fold and pleat the uncovered dough over the edge to form a crust. I made an octagon (8 sides) for easy serving. Pull the side up as far a possible to prevent leaks.
- Brush the pie crust with egg white and sprinkle with raw sugar. Then, place in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool completely before serving.